My favourite comfort food dish this autumn is apple crumble. I simply love how the whole house gets filled with sweet aromas of vanilla and cinnamon when I bake apple crumble. Apple crumble is so easy to make and so satisfying. The traditional apple crumble is usually high in sugar and bad fats. So it’s nice to make a healthier version of this delicious dessert! Apple crumble can easily be made gluten free with the use of gluten free oats. This apple crumble is made with apples, oats, coconut and almonds for an extract crunch. You can use any type of apples you like, preferably apples that are naturally sweet, so you don’t have to add loads of sugar. Personally, I think vanilla and cinnamon is a must as it gives such as nice flavour to the dish.
6 large apples
2 tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp cardamom
1 tsp vanilla extract.
3 tsp coconut oil
100 gram rolled gluten free oats
1 tbsp. desiccated coconut.
2 tbsp butter ( or coconut oil).
1 tbsp honey
¼ cup almond( chopped)
1 tsp cane sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degress C.
- Core and dice the apples and place then in a medium sized casserole dish. Sprinke the apples with sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon and vanilla extract.
- Place in oven for about 30 minutes or until the apples are soft and mushy. ( turn the apples from time to time.
- Meanwhile make the crumble- place all oats, coconut, coconut oil, butter and honey in a bowl. Combine the ingredients with your hand to crumbles.
- Chop the almonds.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apples and top with nuts and sugar. Bake for another 15 minutes.