I think that a lot of people buy beetroots ready cooked, because they don’t know how to use raw beetroot! As well as using it to make juice, shredding it and adding it to salads, fritters are a great way to use beetroot. Fritters are some of my favorite food! Previous fritter recipes I have posted that are zucchini fritters and quinoa, carrots, zucchini & feta fritters! During autumn and winter these beetroot fritters are the one’s that I make the most! I combined beetroot with chickpeas and feta cheese and it worked wonders! You can serve these fritters in all kind of different ways, either as traditional burgers or with roasted potatoes and salad.
Ingredients: ( makes approximately 15 fritters)
2 large beetroots ( 250 gram)
1 can chickpeas (380 gram)
200 gram feta cheese
100- 150 gram flour ( I used potato flour)
1/2 tsp cumin
2 gloves garlic ( crushed)
oil for cooking
1) Drain the chickpeas and put them into the food processor. Blitz until smooth but still dry.
2) Peel and roughly grate the beetroots
3) Chop the shallot and crush the garlic.
4) Placed the chickpeas, grated beetroot, garlic and shallot in a bowl and mix it with the eggs.
3) Add the flour and mix again. ( start with 100 gram and add more if needed at the end)
4) Finally add feta cheese ( crumbled), cumin, salt and pepper and mix to combine.
5) Add more flour if needed.
6) Fry the fritters on each side for 3-4 minutes or until golden and set.