Today I wanted to share my recipe for oven baked falafels- healthy patties made of chickpeas, onion, garlic and lots of herbs. Falafels are my far one of my favorite kind of food. I am not a fan of deep fried food because of the enormous amount of oil one needs, so an oven baked alternative is the way to go! I You can make a huge batch and warm the leftovers for weekday lunches. It also possible to cook the falafels on the stovetop rather than the oven. It’s a lot quicker, makes them crispy and you have the possibility of only making a few without making the whole batch.I find that sometimes it can be a bit difficult to get the falafel mixture right, but add more buckwheat flour until you can form the falafels patties.I served the falafels with a simple salad topped with yoghurt but feel free to stuff them in a pita wrap.
1 can chickpeas ( 400 gram) ( rise and drain) or 250 gram dried chickpeas.
1/2 cup fresh parsley
2 gloves garlic
1 1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried coriander
1 tsp tahini
1 tsp oil ( more for cooking)
2- 3 tbsp flour ( I used buckwheat)
1 medium/ large egg ( beaten)
- If you use dried chickpeas- put the chickpeas in water water the night before.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Brush a baking sheet with a thin layer of olive oil.
- Combine all the ingredients in a food processor. Start with the garlic, onion and parley and pulse a few times. Then add the rest of the ingredients expect the egg and flour.
- Pulse until the ingredients are mixed, until the chickpeas are chopped.
- Taste the mixture: Taste and add more spices if needed.
- Transfer to a bowl, add the flours and the egg.
- Leave the batch overnight or cover the batch and leave at least 1 hour before cooking. ( This helps the falafels to hold together better).
- Using your hands, scoop up 1 ½ tbsp of the mixture and from into ball, then flatten them into thick patties with your fingers on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until golden. Remember to flipp the falafel after 10 minutes.
- Serve & Enjoy.
For the stovetop:
Instead of cooking them in the oven you can use a stovetop.warm a skillet over medium-high heat, add a little olive oil.
- warm a skillet over medium-high heat, add a little olive oil.
- Cook the falafel about 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden.
I hope you love them as much I do!