Tabbouleh, is a classic Middle Eastern dish.Tabbouleh is traditionally made of tomatoes, bulgur, onion, mint and parsley, seasoned with olive oil, lemon juice & salt and pepper.. Traditional tabbouleh is good for you, but quinoa provides more even more protein and minerals than bulgur wheat.My sister introduced me to this salad years ago after her travelling, and it has been a favourite ever since. I used white quinoa for this salad, but red or a tri-colour blend would be delicious as well. If you are not a fan of quinoa you can use bulgur ( which is a less expensive option) or couscous.Feel free to top this salad with feta cheese. I love eating this with salmon and hummus. There you go – a delicious summer salad.
Ingredients: ( serve 4 as a side dish, 2 as a main).
3/4 cup quinoa
4 large tomatos ( chopped)
1/2 red onion ( chopped)
a bunch fresh parsley ( finely chopped).
half a bunch mint fresh ( finely chopped).
1/2 cucumber (finely diced)
1 garlic (minced)
the juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tbsp olive oil
- Drain and rinse the quinoa well. Cook according to packet instructions, usually 15 minutes.
- Then drain and set aside to cool .
- Let the quinoa cool, then toss in the rest of your ingredients. ( add the herbs last).
- Add more olive oil, salt or pepper to taste.
- If you have time, cover and let the salad chill in the refrigerator for a few hours, to let the flavors blend together.