Summer is approaching and stone fruit season is here!! If you do manage to make it home with still a few unconsumed nectarines, I highly recommend making a crumble. I wanted to make a summer recipe using fresh nectarines, apples and an easy oat and almond topping. For the filling, I used nectarines and apples.I tossed them with cinnamon, cardamon, ginger, coconut oil and vanilla. I like to make crumbles with little added sugar, relying on the fruit for sweetness .While I used nectarine, peach would work equally well.If you prefer the traditional apple crumble, you can try my apple crumble recipe. Serve this warm with a scoop of ice cream, custard or greek yogurt. Either way this crumble is an irresistible summer treat!
The apples/ nectarine:
4 large red apples
2 ripe nectarines
1 tbsp cane sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1 / 2 tsp cardamom
½ tsp vanilla extract.
½ dried ginger
1,5 tsp coconut oil
140 gram rolled gluten free oats
1 tbsp desiccated coconut.
2 tbsp butter ( or coconut oil for a vegan option).
3 tbsp honey
¼ cup almond( chopped)
1 tsp cane sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degress C.
- Core and dice the apples and nectarine place then in a medium sized casserole dish. Sprinkle the apples and necatrines with sugar, coconut oil, cinnamon, ginger, cardamon and vanilla extract.
- Place in oven for about 30 minutes or until the apples/ nectarines are soft and mushy. turn the apples/nectarines from time to time.
- Meanwhile make the crumble- place all oats, coconut, coconut oil, butter and honey in a bowl. Combine the ingredients with your hand to crumbles.
- Chop the almonds.
- Sprinkle the crumble over the apples and top with almonds and sugar. Bake for another 15 minutes.