Potato salad is a reliable side dish for most occasions, especially picnics and summer barbecues. Most potato salad recipes are laden with mayonnaise. This recipe offers an alternative way of preparing a potato salad. This potato salad is great for people that want something lighter and not mayonnaise based. This potato salad is made with creamy potatoes, green beans,onion, herbs and a tangy- sweet dressing.I used lemon juice instead of vinegar for a fresh-tasting salad.This potato salad can be made ahead of time and in fact tastes better when it has a chance to sit for a few hours to absorb the dressing. This salad works well at either room temperature or served cold. This dish is easy to transport and therefore a great dish to bring along to a picnic or a barbeque.
(Serves 4 as a side dish)
800 gram potatoes
250 gram greens bean
1 spring onion
1/4 red onion
a handful fresh parsley
5 stalks chive
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp mustard
1 tsp honey
1 tbsp olive oil
the juice of 1/2 lemon
- Put the potatoes in a large pot, cover them with water and bring to boil. Boil for about 12- 15 minutes until they are fork tender.
- While the potatoes are cooking bring another pot of water to boil. Once it is boiling add the green beans. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until fork tender.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking together the mustard, honey, olive oil and the lemon juice.
- Mince the onion, parsley, spring onion and chive and set aside.
- When the potatoes are cold, add half of the dressing to the potatoes and toss to coat the potatoes.
- Add the green beans, red onion, parsley, chive, spring onion to the potatoes.Toss with the remaining dressing and serve.