Caprese salad is hands down one of my favorite salads. It is so simple and so good.There is just something about the flavour of ripe tomatoes, combined with mozzarella and fresh basil, that does it for me. Caprese salad literary means salad from Capri, but can be found all over Italy. Nothing beats eating caprese salad while being in Rome or by the Italian seaside, but it is still pretty good back home. This is the perfect summertime dish, for hot days when nobody feels like cooking. This caprese salad is made with ripe tomatoes, mozzarella, fresh basil and an olive oil/ vinegar dressing. If you follow me on instagram, you have probably seen my mothers large colletion of fresh herb, which I am taking as much as advantage of as possibe. I would recommend to make this caprese salad a few hours in advance and keep it covered in the fridge. It taste much better when it sits for a while. Serve this an side dish and for a more substantial meal toss it with pasta or add it to a salad.
(Serves 4 as a side dish)
250 gram fresh mozarella
4 large tomatoes
a handful fresh basil
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 tsp vinegar ( white
2 cloves garlic ( crushed).
- Cut the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Arrange the tomatoes and mozzarella on a large platter.
- To make the dressing whisk together, olive oil, vinegar, garlic and salt.
- Drizzle the tomato and mozzarella with the dressing.
- Leave for a few hour, at least 30 minutes,
- Sprinkle with fresh basil before serving.