I was very lucky to grow up surrounded by great chefs in the family. I learnt the basics from my mother. While my mother taught me the basics, my sister always challenged me to try new ingredients and recipes. So whenever my sister and I cook together we always attempt to recreate family recipes or trying out new recipes we find online. A few weeks ago, my sister and I cooked together for the first time in while. As she has recently moved back home after living abroad for several years. We ended up making this tart for lunch. The classic combination of spinach and feta makes a gorgeous tart. It starts out with a flour and butter based crust. Sauted onion, garlic and spinach are mixed with beaten egg, sour creme ( creme fresh) and feta cheese. This tart makes an excellent dish for lunch or dinner. Serve it on its own or with a light salad.
2,4 dl flour
90 gram butter
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp salt
5 large eggs
150 gram spinach
1/3 cup creme fresh/ sour creme
75 gram feta cheese
1/2 white onion
2 gloves garlic
- Preheat the oven to 190º
- Combine the flour and salt in a bowl and stir until the mixture is aerated
- Dice the butter and place in refrigerator
- Add the butter to the bowl. Rub the butter between your fingertips, smearing the butter into the flour to create small flakes. Add the cold water and quickly assemble the dough into a ball. Leave the pie dough in the fridge for minimum one hour
- Roll out the pie crust to fit a 20 cm pie tart. Crimp edges so it looks decorative. Use a fork prick a few small holes in the bottom of the crust
- Bake the crust for 10 minutes
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, whisk for 30 seconds, then crumble in the feta cheese. Stir in the curry powder and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes. Add half of the spinach. Strir the spinach gently until it wilts, then add the rest of the spinach and keep on stirring until wilted.
- Remove from the heat and place in a kitchen towl to cheese out any excessive liquid. Pour the sautéed spinach, onion and garlic into the mixing bowl containing the egg and cheese mixture. Stir everything to well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Bake for about 20 minutes or until set
- Let cool for 15 minutes before serving